Rural Opportunity Zones
There's something special about life in rural Kansas. Something authentic, something that makes it the ideal place to live, to work, and raise a family.
Thanks to the Kansas Rural Opportunity Zones program, there's never been a better time than now to make rural Kansas your new home!
If you're looking for lower cost of living, better quality of life, and help repaying your student loans; Kansas is the best choice.
Rural Opportunity Zones are 77 counties that have been authorized to offer one or both of the following financial incentives to new full-time residents:
• Kansas state income tax waivers for up to five years
• Student loan repayments up to $15,000 over 5 years
To be eligible for Student Loan Repayments, individuals must:
- Establish domicile* in a ROZ County after July 1, 2011 AND on or after the date on which the County opts-in to the student loan program
- Hold an associate's, bachelor's or post-graduate degree prior to moving to the ROZ County
- Have an outstanding student loan balance in applicant’s name
- Ability to provide proof of: residency at current and previous addresses, Degree, and student loan balance with distribution dates
- Have a Sponsor, Counties and Employers can sponsor applicants in this program. the Applicant must have a sponsor to receive funding
Applications for Student Loan Repayment are accepted from Jan. 1st through Sept. 30th.
How to Get Started With Student Loan Repayment.
Required Documents must be emailed to KDC_ROZ@ks.gov
- Student Loan Repayment Application
(Application deadline has passed. Please come back January 1st, 2019)
- Valid Personal Identification (Driver's License, State ID, ETC.)
- Proof of previous address before moving to the ROZ County
- Proof of ROZ County residency
- Transcripts with degree and date earned listed
- Proof of student loan balance with distribution dates
- Participant Agreement
- Direct Deposit Form
- Kansas Tax Clearance
- Know who your sponsor is: County or Employer. To find out if your county has funding available for new applicants please contact your County Clerk or local Economic Development Office.
Kansas Income Tax Waiver
To be eligible for Kansas Income Tax Waivers, individuals must have:
- established domicile in a ROZ county on or after the date the county became part of the program (Please note that these dates vary by county.)
- lived outside Kansas for five or more years immediately prior to establishing domicile in a ROZ county
- earned less than $10,000 in Kansas Source Income in each of the five years immediately prior to establishing domicile in a ROZ county
- to receive the income tax waiver you must file your state taxes on the Kansas Department of Revenue website
The Department of Commerce does not manage the State Income Tax Exemption, for more information about the State Income Tax Exemption, click here or contact:
Kansas Department of Revenue
Office of Policy and Research