The Kansas Department of Commerce Office of Minority and Women Business Development is accepting nominations for Kansas minority and/or women owned businesses, advocates, young entrepreneurs and corporations. These nominations celebrate Minority Enterprise Development (MED) Week, and nominees will be recognized at the annual Kansas Minority and Women Business Awards Luncheon to be held on Oct. 11 at the Capitol Plaza Hotel in Topeka.
“Minority Enterprise Development Week celebrates the tremendous accomplishments of the many minority and women owned businesses in our state,” said Kansas Commerce Secretary Antonio Soave. “The MED Week awards honor the success of these businesses and the positive impact that they have on our state and its communities every day.”
The deadline to nominate a business or individual is Friday, July 15. Online nomination forms can be accessed at KansasCommerce.com/MEDweek. To request a hard copy of the form, please contact Rhonda Harris at Rhonda.Harris@ks.gov or (785) 296-3425. All forms submitted by mail must be postmarked by July 15. Forms can be mailed to Rhonda Harris, Office of Minority and Women Business Development, Kansas Department of Commerce, 1000 S.W. Jackson St., Suite 100, Topeka, KS 66612; faxed to (785) 296-3490; or emailed to Rhonda.Harris@ks.gov.
The Office of Minority and Women Business Development provides assistance in business management, identifying resources for financing and establishing contacts in the public and private sectors. The office is responsible for certifying minority- and women-owned businesses as small disadvantaged businesses for procurement and subcontracting opportunities.
A list of 2015 winners follows.
2015 Women-Owned Businesses of the Year
• Kansas Asphalt, Inc. - Bucyrus (Construction Firm)
• Mid Star Lab, Inc. - Edwardsville (Manufacturing Firm)
• Shockey Consulting, LLC - Lenexa (Professional Service Firm)
• Harper’s Fabric & Quilt, Co. - Overland Park (Retail Firm)
• Staffing Kansas City, Inc. - Overland Park (Service Industry Firm)
• International Express Trucking, Inc. - Kansas City (Supplier/Distributor Firm)
2015 Minority-Owned Businesses of the Year
• Anderson & Sons Trucking, Inc. - Edwardsville (Construction Firm)
• Quik Tek Machining, LLC - Wichita, (Manufacturing Firm)
• Mind Lift, LLC - Overland Park (Professional Service Firm)
• MACKECH Jewelry, LLC - Overland Park (Retail Firm)
• PUSH Plus Fitness, LLC - Topeka (Service Industry Firm)
• Sarin Energy Solutions - Overland Park (Supplier/Distributor Firm)
2015 Women Business Advocate
• Mary A. Redmond, FearLess Negotiator, LLC – Kansas City
2015 Minority Business Advocate
• Sook Park, Asian American Chamber of Commerce of Kansas City – Overland Park
2015 Young Entrepreneur
• Abisai Reyes, CleanCo - Topeka
2015 Corporation of the Year
• Turner Construction Company, Kansas City, MO