New Play Lab
New Play Lab
The New Play Lab at the annual William Inge Theater Festival is a partnership between the Kansas Creative Arts Industries Commission and the William Inge Center at Independence Community College, Kansas.
The New Play Lab will invite 20-25 playwrights to participate in a four-day workshop during the 37th Annual William Inge Theater Festival, May 9-12, 2018. The program is headquartered at The William Inge Center for the Arts, at Independence Community College, Independence, Kansas.
The program seeks to connect emerging playwrights with the national theater community through mentorship and learning during the William Inge Theater Festival. The playwrights receive feedback of one of their scripts from a panel of theater experts, meet with fine arts professionals across the country during the Inge Festival, and enjoy intensive playwriting workshops to help them refine their craft.
We welcome applicants from all backgrounds, media and training.
Applications are due by midnight on Nov. 23, 2017, with notification by Jan. 8, 2018.
The submitted plays will be blind reviewed (the playwright’s name will not be revealed) by a nationwide panel of theater professionals.
- - -
- Playwrights selected must be able to travel to and be in residence in Independence, Kansas, Wed. May 9 through Saturday May 12, 2018
- During the New Play Lab, each playwright will have a rehearsed, public reading of not more than 30 minutes of their submitted script. Therefore, submissions of short-form one-acts are encouraged, though not required.
- Accepted playwrights are charged a $250 fee, which provides admission to all Inge Festival events, including social events with guest artists, some meals, as well as New Play Lab workshops and feedback.
- Playwrights receive a rehearsed reading of up to 30 minutes of one of their scripts, with feedback from a panel of professional playwrights.
- Playwrights receive additional workshops exclusive to New Play Lab participants, including a master class with the William Inge Theater Festival Honoree playwright.
- Playwrights have access to the entire William Inge Theater Festival events.
All applications must be submitted via an online form: https://kansascaic.submittable.com
If you have any questions about the lab, feel free to email the program directly: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also learn more on the festival website: www.ingecenter.org
Follow the program on Facebook