New Dance Lab
New Dance Partners, a partnership between The Kansas Creative Arts Industries Commission and Johnson County Community College, is accepting applications for 3-5 aspiring dance professionals to participate in the newly launched New Dance Lab.
In its pilot year, The New Dance Lab will expand the programming of New Dance Partners to allow a select group of aspiring dance professionals throughout the state of Kansas the opportunity to participate in one-on-one professional development workshops in one of the following subject areas:
- Getting professional jobs: Developing successful resumes; mastering the audition process - including how to develop a DVD to send to Artistic Directors. Conducted by: Heather Gray, Utah Regional Ballet II
- Running a dance company: Finding balance between business and art. Conducted by: Matthew Neenan, BalletX Philadephia
- Forging your own path: Life as a freelance choreographer. Conducted by: Kameron N. Saunders, COCA St. Louis/freelance choreographer
This lab seeks to provide an opportunity for local dance company advancement and artistic development through meaningful contact with national choreographers. The lab also aims to raise the profile of dance in the region and to highlight local talent. Kansas dancers from all backgrounds and dance disciplines are welcome to apply. A small travel stipend may be available for accepted applicants from outside the Johnson County area.
Applications are due by September 4, and approved dancers will be notified by September 8. Workshops will be scheduled to take place September 11-22.
To submit an application visit https://kansascaic.submittable.com.
New Dance Partners is an initiative launched in 2013 by the Performing Arts Series/Carlsen Center at Johnson County Community College to develop a dance awareness strategy for the region. The program was expanded in 2014 through a grant from the Kansas Creative Arts Industries Commission and returns this year as a partnership between KCAIC and Johnson County Community College.
Through New Dance Partners, a select group of local professional dance companies are paired with reputable choreographers from across the county to create new works. The program provides an opportunity for local dance companies to advance and sustain artistic development while building the local dance audience through a community-based festival in Kansas that celebrates the broad spectrum of dance in the area.
This year’s program will feature:
- Kansas City Ballet working with Matthew Neenan, co-founder and Choreographer, BalletX
- Owen/Cox Dance Group working with Kameron Saunders, COCA-St. Louis
- Wylliams/Henry Contemporary Dance Company working with Jennifer Archibald, founder and Artistic Director of ARCH Dance Company
- Störling Dance Theater working with Heather Gray, Associate Director, Utah Regional Ballet II
New Dance Partners will culminate with performances of the above pieces Sept. 22-23 at Yardley Hall on the Johnson County Community College campus.
For more information about New Dance Partners: http://www.jccc.edu/carlsen-center-presents/events/2017-2018/new-dance-partners.html