Rural Opportunity Zones
There's something special about life in rural Kansas. Something authentic and wholesome. Something that makes it the ideal place to live, work and raise a family. And thanks to the new Rural Opportunity Zones program, there's never been a better time than now to make rural Kansas your new home. If you're looking for lower cost of living and better quality of life, Kansas is your best choice.
Rural Opportunity Zones are 77 counties that have been authorized to offer one or both of the following financial incentives to new full-time residents:
• Kansas income tax waivers for up to five years
• Student loan repayments up to $15,000
To be eligible for Kansas income tax waivers, individuals must have:
• established residency in a ROZ county on or after the date the county became part of the program (Please note that these dates vary by county. To learn what dates specific counties became eligible for the income tax waivers, please visit our FAQs page).
• lived outside Kansas for five or more years immediately prior to establishing residency in a ROZ county
• earned less than $10,000 in Kansas Source Income in each of the five years immediately prior to establishing residency in a ROZ county
For more information about the state income tax exemption, click here or contact:
Kansas Department of Revenue
Office of Policy and Research
To be eligible for student loan repayments, individuals must:
• establish residency in a ROZ county after July 1, 2011 and on or after the date on which the county opts-in to the student loan program
• hold an associate's, bachelor's or post-graduate degree
• have an outstanding student loan balance
How to Get Started
Step 1. Fill out the Student Loan Repayment Application.
Step 2. Wait for email from Commerce requesting documentation/proof of residence in Kansas.
Step 3. Wait for a letter to arrive based on your approval status in the program and follow the instructions listed in the letter.
See frequently asked questions of accepted applicants here.
See frequently asked questions of applicants who are on a wait list here.
For more information about the Rural Opportunity Zones program, click here or contact:
Rachell Rowand, Rural Opportunity Zones Program Manager
(785) 296-3345 or email@example.com
Student Loan Repayment Application Questions
Karen Farrell, Program Consultant
(785) 368-6643 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Loan Repayment Payment Questions
Heather Pierson, Administrative Assistant
(785) 296-5298 or email@example.com
The state income tax waiver program is administered by the Kansas Department of Revenue. Please click here to learn more or contact Kathleen Smith at (785) 296-3081 or firstname.lastname@example.org.